Alex Nelson is a Brisbane Barrister specialising in defamation.
He knows that preparation and planning are the keys to the successful resolution of any matter, whether in court as a Barrister or in a mediation.
Alex has well over 20 years of legal experience including his time as an Army Legal Officer, running his own firm as a solicitor in private practice and over 10 years as a barrister. He is also a Nationally Accredited Mediator. This broad experience enables him to bring a creative approach to resolving disputes, finding leverage where others have so far been unable to.
Alex regularly appear in courts and tribunals in Brisbane, Sydney, regional Queensland and Northern NSW. He has proven himself in court with great results including:
- Weatherall v Kelly (2019); extension of time to commence action for defamation more than two years from publication
- successfully appealing in Clive Palmer v Malcolm Turnbull (Palmer v Turnbull  QCA 112), confirming that where the lex loci delicti is a foreign law, it is presumed that it is the same as local law and it does not need to be pleaded nor proven as a matter of fact unless the plaintiff sees a forensic advantage in relying on the foreign law and intends to rely on it as differing from local law
- Grattan v Porter (2016); defamation judgment in the Queensland District Court for the Plaintiff, $150,000 plus interest, indemnity costs and a permanent injunction
- Petty v Zhao (2016); defamation judgment for the Defendant in the NSW District Court where the Plaintiff
- Sierocki v Klerck & Ors (2015); defamation judgment for the Plaintiff in the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Acquittals for Murder, Manslaughter and other serious criminal charges.
- Successful in obtaining leave to appeal 12 years out of time and in reducing the sentence from 20 years to 13 years.
- Obtaining judgment in the Supreme Court of Queensland against 5 defendants under r374 for non compliance with rules and orders (the “no shenanigans” case) and then successfully opposing an appeal against that judgment.
- Obtaining Queensland’s highest general damages award for defamation since the introduction of the national uniform Defamation Acts.
- Setting aside (or supporting as the case may be) Statutory Demands, appearing in winding up applications and associated litigation.
You can trust him to have read the brief thoroughly, to know the facts and to apply them to the law, achieving the best possible outcome for the client.
If you are involved in a defamation dispute and would like Alex Nelson to assist you or to appear for you in court, he can be contacted as follows:
95 North Quay, Brisbane Qld 4000
0402 227 498
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.